Entering 2013 we will continue to highlight the amazing historic building stock in Walnut Hills, in a series we’ve been calling “Throwback Thursdays” on our Facebook page. Over the next few weeks the focus will be on structures along E. McMillan Street that are (or soon will be) undergoing stabilization and renovation. Today, we’re looking at the Hauck Building at 975 E. McMillan St.
Built in 1893, the Hauck Building is a 5-story Romanesque-detailed building, and is part of the Peebles Corner National Historic District. It has a corner tower, sandstone trim, and a decorative stone first floor façade. The building’s original investor and namesake is John Hauck, co-founder in 1864 of the Dayton Street Brewery (later changed to the John Hauck Brewing Company). He was an illustrious man, serving as president of the Cincinnati Reds in 1886, president of the German National Bank, and saving the Cincinnati Zoo by paying off its debts.
Structural stabilization of the Hauck Building is commencing this week, with anticipated completion in Spring, 2013. Plans are also moving forward for complete renovation of the building into market-rate apartments and first-floor retail space, utilizing recently awarded State Historic Conservation Tax Credits. Check out some interior pictures of the Hauck Building below: